Pages - Menu

Wednesday 19 February 2014

Why your family should be your first ministry

“And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbour as yourself.’” Mathew 22:39
It’s a beautiful verse, it pushes us to love people we would never in our wildest dreams think we could fellowship with. It’s basically what the whole ministry of Jesus was about; loving thy neighbour. Now we love this, we take this and love the world! We go out and preach and go on missions trips and we talk so nicely about loving everyone and that’s great; but what about when you go back home? Are you still walking in the words you preach? Are you so busy serving others in the name of The Lord that all you give your household are the leftovers, the crumbs, of your love, servant-hood and respect? 

"Isn’t it ironic how much more patient, kind and loving we are towards people we probably won’t have much to do with in five years than we are towards the very people who will be holding our hand when we die? Wouldn’t it be great if we poured the majority of our energy into our family first, before pouring it into the lives of others?" - Annette P. Soldini

I’ve struggled with being kind and compassionate to my own family. I admit to giving the crumbs of my servant-hood to my household. I remember one day my mom was talking on the phone with someone and she was complimenting the way I am, and my mom responded “Are you sure you are talking about MY daughter?” (I didn't want to clean that day so she was quite sarcastic but truthful). Now this was a while ago, but when I heard that it hurt and it was my changing point. I know what it is to not live up to what I say in my own household. The biggest proof of God is your own testimony. There’s a saying that says “Be careful with the way you act you may be the only bible some people read.” There is such a deep truth to this quote that it is actually so alarming. Not only does the world look at our actions but even our own family looks at the way we act at home.

“In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.” Philippians 2:5-7

I think that’s the problem with this generation. We want revival and we are so ready for it. We say how we are living for the Lord and how we are going to love the whole world; but as soon as our parents call us to do something, we get into this defensive mood and don’t ever want to serve them. How are we supposed to serve the world with a heart of a servant when we can’t even serve our own household? How can we make a difference in our generation when we aren’t even impacting our own family? Revival and love starts with the people that have seen us on the “stomach flu” days and still love us no matter what.

"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. “ -Exodus20:12

The only commandment in the bible with a promise, “so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you”. You see how much God also realizes that honoring your family is one of the most important ministries you can ever have? If you didn’t catch that, there’s a small revelation here, “in the land the Lord your God is giving you” now it might not technically be a piece of grass but he is giving you a calling, an area in which you will spread the gospel; that’s your land. Now the only condition He has for you to live long in that “land” is for you to honor your mother and father; your family, your household.

It’s so easy to put your family second to the other things that might bring you pleasure. I know for me it has been putting my family before this blog, and my laziness (Yes, I love to do nothing when I have the chance). I realize I have to dedicate more time and serve them even in the smallest things like mopping the floor and actually doing it wholeheartedly. You aren’t perfect and Lord knows I am far from it but making it a priority to serve and honour the ministry you were born in will have its rewards in the end. Loving your parents, stepparents, grandparents, guardians or whoever else is in charge of you, takes your life to whole different dimension. Be the change you want to see happening because it all starts at home.

-With Love & Grace- Diana C

2 comments:

  1. I really needed this today! Such a good reminder. Thank you!!!! ;)

    Nathali
    http://gloriouspeonies.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! As young adults I know we need this reminder almost every day (God knows I do). I'm happy that you enjoyed it!

      Delete