Pages - Menu

Monday 31 March 2014

Female Empowerment Gone Wrong?

I saw two amazing things this past week, one of them being that picture right about by the wonderful Lauren DeMoss which says: "What does it cost you to support someone's dream or efforts? To say 'good job' every now and then or to 'like' someone's accomplishments on social media? To throw your hand up and say 'high five' to someone working hard on their dreams or their ministry or their weight loss or their selfie for that matter? What does it cost you to be happy for someone else's success or happiness instead of being put off by jealousy? To essentially say 'hey, I see you out there doing good.' What does it cost to be kind? Nothing. It cost you nothing, but let me tell you... it sure might mean a lot to them" (#wow) and the next being a this quote:
The source is Naomi from Love Taza's Instagram,as one was of her description in a picture and I just modified the saying a little, "Women need women. We need deep satisfying and loyal relationships with one another. We need to not only love each other more but love each other BETTER" (can I get an amen sisters?!.. no.. just me? okay.) There’s something that has been so heavy on my heart recently and it is exactly what those two pictures talk about. Lauren DeMoss’s quote is just amazing but it ties in so perfectly with Naomi’s.

We’re in this era where women are starting to recognize it is time to empower each other, and that is amazing I’m all for that but there is something that always tugs at my spirit. Are we, as women, being genuine about it? Is it becoming a power game, a quantity versus quality type thing? By that I mean, are you trying to show how much you can love women so you can get the title of “best women lover and inspirer(this isn't a word, I'm  sure of it)” award? Is it becoming something you do mediocrely? Trying to find as many girls you can befriend and just be nice and see if they think the world out of your kindness. In the Christian “culture” women are “ranked” by how kind, nurturing, powerful, or anointed they are(we don’t say it but I guess I’ll be bold enough to put it out there, I may be hated for it) and a lot of us will manipulated our way into favouritism. Like I said I’m all for women empowerment but we have to be genuine about it. Women lack REAL relationships with women, seriously we are supposed to count on each other, we are the only ones that understand what it feels like to be a women! We can love each other but what we really need is to love each other BETTER. By better I mean wholeheartedly, to love three women with your might rather than 15 mediocrely. “We don’t need to love each other more” you can love many people but not love them the right way, if you need an example of the "right way" look up to Jesus, John the Baptist, Peter, and Mary Magdalene. “But love each other BETTER” you may never learn to love perfectly, but you can learn to love better and more genuinely. Don’t take my rant as limitation to love; our heart grows with the more people we love, the right way. By no means am I a perfect lover or encourager, I actually suck at consoling, I just stand there if someone cries, yikes! Which is why this stings, because I want to love the women I know BETTER! I want to focus on the women I know and really connect and create genuine satisfying relationships with them. 

Can female empowerment go wrong? Can it actually happen? Has it already happen? I want to know your comments and thoughts! This is just a little rant before I start studying for the endocrine system test I have tomorrow, lets discuss this I am so curious about what my fellow women have to say!

With Love & Grace- Diana C.

4 comments:

  1. Literally couldn't agree more! It's time to stop saying "good job" because you have to in order for others to think you are kind. Good things will happen to you too but how do you think God will do so in all of his abundance if you aren't able to truly thank God for what He does in the lives of those around you? Loving better is definitely needed, as opposed to loving more. I'd rather have a bit of real, genuine love from someone than a fake "omg you're my fave!" 24/7.

    Lol, now I'm the one ranting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Love your rant and I'm glad you agree with mine! I was super hesitant in posting but hey! I gotta be real on here maybe I'm not the only one thinking this! To love better leads to loving more, not vise versa. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

      -DianaC

      Delete
  2. This is so on point! The motives have to be pure, otherwise we might as well not try and be "kind".
    We should stop "trying" to be kind, and actually BE kind, genuinely!

    Hope your test goes well!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree! And yes! Time to stop saying "I'm trying" and actually do it! Thank you for reading Abidemi :)

      Delete