Pages - Menu

Monday 20 January 2014

Prayer - The World's Greastest Wireless Connection



On our last post we touched about overcoming fear and there were four steps to overcoming fear:
1)Prayer
2)Reading the word
3)Counsel
4)Worship

Well it's time to dig deeper into those individual aspects that make up our foundation for a great relationship with God. So let's get started with number 1: Prayer.
I think it's time that we start being honest with God. Growing up I had this image of God, an entity up in the clouds just ruling over people. In Sunday school I was taught to pray to God but not to communicate with Him. Let me tell you, those two things are completely different. I think many of us grow up with a notion that God has bigger problems out in the world than ours, so we don't express ourselves to Him and when we do,we start doing what the prodigal son did before coming home to his father. Rehearse his speech of forgiveness in hopes of being well received.


"I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ So he got up and went to his father." Luke 15:18

How many times do you catch yourself formatting and scripting your prayers in your head and as soon as we get into "prayer mode" we start reciting this monotone rehearsed speech that God has already heard?! I think it's time that we start being honest in our prayer life, that we open up more, that we scream and cry. That we express and communicate our thoughts, our loneliness, fears, happiness and sadness to the Holy Spirit WITHOUT rehearsing them before hand because you know what? He already knows what's in your heart and on your mind. I also want to add that it doesn't matter where you are when you communicate with your Creator! Religion has made talking to your Father such a tradition that if we are not kneeling or in a church most feel like they aren't really praying. That makes prayer seem like a chore and to me, it's almost like having a specific place where I can talk to my parents, imagine that you are only allowed to talk to your parents in the kitchen and nowhere else! How crazy does that sound?! And we actually do this with our Heavenly Father! As if He is not everywhere! He is omniscient; all-knowing, all-wise, all-seeing, he is everywhere. It's time to be honest with God anywhere and everywhere! It's time to start communicating with Him at work, at school, in the car, even on the bus. It's time to close your eyes in the middle of a chaotic world and say "HELP" and it is essential to start understanding that prayer is not just holding your hands in front of your face and saying something out of Psalms. It is saying exactly what you feel, it is raw emotion, it is freedom. Jesus cried out to the Father: 

"And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” )." -Mark 15:34

Do you see that? He CRIED out, he had no shame to cry out to His father even when he knew that the story of his resurrection was greater and better than his death. But in the moment He felt alone and afraid and He made sure the Father knew, because He knew that the Father would deliver him from all fear and death. So why do we try to bottle up our feelings? Scream them out, ask for Him to show up when you don't feel Him! And when you actually start a real conversation with your God that's when He will say "Finally, it took you long enough to be honest with me, now let's get to work" and your redemption story will be far more beautiful than your trials, and it all starts with a decision. A decision to be open and honest with your prayers.


Peace and Grace - Diana 

1 comment:

  1. Great post guys! Definitely needed a good wake up call to improve my prayer life!

    ReplyDelete