Pages - Menu

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Jesus, Friend of Sinners

 This weekend the Grammy’s were on, and I didn’t watch because I was completely unaware they were on. But by Monday the amount of tweets and Facebook comments I saw, it was like I had basically watched them. There were some things that I read that really alarmed me. The worse were from some Christian people. The amount of judgement I read was literally so painful to my heart that it hurt. It hurt not because I love the Grammy’s or defend them but because I could only imagine Jesus saying:

 “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.” Matthew 7:1-5

Why do we think this bubble of Christianity we have created is so much holier than the outside world? The “secular” world.  Didn’t God say in Genesis 1:31 
 “God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning--the sixth day.”

 And in 1 Timothy 4:4 it also says:
“For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,”

 I don’t know about you but those verses pretty much say that EVERYTHING he made was good. Even those people up on a stage that you may judge so much, he see's good in them. Good thing Christ isn’t like us huh? Everyone would be gone; crucified to say the least. I can imagine Jesus just sitting watching a Grammy’s show and just smiling saying “Ha they have a lovely voice Father, hear that, that’s talent. But Father I forgive them for not praising me the way they praise themselves, but I still love them”. You see, that’s the Jesus I love, the non-judgmental, sin forgiving, sinner lover. He’s dangerous, that grace is scandalous. I bet if he was around in 2014 walking around in homeless shelters, prostitute houses, and loving the sin out of the people you judge the most on your TVs, you would be terrified of that man and your kids would not be allowed to even look at him. As Jefferson Bethke put it in his book Jesus>Religion (which I HIGHLY recommend):

"We’ve lost the real Jesus—or at least exchanged him for a newer, safer, sanitized, ineffectual one. We’ve created a Christian subculture that comes with its own set of customs, rules, rituals, paradigms, and products that are nowhere near the rugged, revolutionary faith of biblical Christianity. In our subculture Jesus would have never been crucified—he’s too nice."

We created this nice image of Jesus, the one that would never even see a “secular” show. Yet he would probably be there in person just to spread his love out. That's why He is one of a kind. But do not misunderstand me, I am not defending sin but I’m defending the people that God, our God, made. Because we so easily forget where he has taken us from, from where he has saved us, let’s not forget. I have been one to easily forget where he has taken me from and He is sure to humble me right back down. The best you can do is turn off your TV and pray, not run to the nearest computer and profess your hatred towards the music industry or shows.Yes God is a jealous God, so He will judge, not you. This isn't only with award shows or artist. We judge everyday of our lives; that girl that dresses so ungodly, or that boy with that tattoo, that one lady that worships too loud, those homosexuals down the street or someone who just doesn't live in the correct way in your eyes. 

"People are not the enemy. Satan is the enemy that has fooled people into the lives they live and things they do"

You are only meant to come to this earth to love and spread the Gospel. Not love those who believe in what you believe and act like you do.

Good thing I follow a Jesus that loves sinners or else I’d be in big trouble.

With all the love in the world, Diana.
P.s. I hope you take the time to watch this video and listen to the profound words. It has impacted my life immensely. If you don't have time to listen, I have placed the lyrics down bellow :)


"Jesus, Friend Of Sinners"
Jesus, friend of sinners, we have strayed so far away
We cut down people in your name but the sword was never ours to swing
Jesus, friend of sinners, the truth's become so hard to see
The world is on their way to You but they're tripping over me
Always looking around but never looking up I'm so double minded
A plank eyed saint with dirty hands and a heart divided

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours
  
Jesus, friend of sinners, the one who's writing in the sand
Made the righteous turn away and the stones fall from their hands
Help us to remember we are all the least of these
Let the memory of Your mercy bring Your people to their knees
Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded
What if we put down our signs crossed over the lines and loved like You did

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours

You love every lost cause; you reach for the outcast
For the leper and the lame; they're the reason that You came
Lord I was that lost cause and I was the outcast
But you died for sinners just like me, a grateful leper at Your feet

'Cause You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks Yours

And I was the lost cause and I was the outcast
You died for sinners just like me, a grateful leper at Your feet

1 comment: